Exploring Horizons Home on the Range - Cypress Hills Saskatchewan, Canada
Buy and Download >
From the small prairie town of Maple Creek to the lush rolling landscape of the Cypress Hills, this is a land of unexpected contrasts and not what it first appears to be. One hundred years ago, this serene and peaceful community was the heart of Whoop-Up Country. A thriving whiskey trade triggered bloody conflict here, and when thousands of Native Indians starved or were forced into reservations, the Northwest Mounted Police moved in to establish order at Fort Walsh. Today''s community determines to remember its most turbulent time in history, and an open cockpit tour reveals the face of progress, herds of wild buffalo, hunted to extinction a century ago, are thriving again on the prairies of Southern Saskatchewan.
- Tour the site of the bloody Fort Walsh massacre
- Take the Beachcraft Sundowner for a flight to the Great Sand Hills
- Hear why Mounties are known for a bad sense of direction
- Bust the myth that Saskatchewan is flat...and cruise low over the rolling Cypress Hills
- Meet Frank Nuttal, the man behind the buffalo
From the aerial view to the human perspective, Exploring Horizons
travels off the beaten path to the remote corners of the world and finds those places where civilization moved in without taking over. Three stunning seasons cover a cross section of culture, adventure and amazing places that make up our global village.
Shot in North America, Central America, South America, Europe and North Africa.