Requirements Traceability Matrix Template
Requirements Traceability Matrix PLDZ-1
Buy and Download >
Requirements Traceability Matrix
This Requirements Traceability Matrix is used to correlate any two baselined documents that require a 'many to many' relationship to determine the completeness of the relationship.
It is often used with high-level requirements and detailed requirements of the software product to the matching parts of high-level design, detailed design, test plan, and test cases.
1. Common usage is to take the identifier for each of the items of one document and place them in the left column.
2. The identifiers for the other document are placed across the top row.
3. When an item in the left column is related to an item across the top, a mark is placed in the intersecting cell.
4. The number of relationships are added up for each row and each column.
5. This value indicates the mapping of the two items.
6. Zero values indicate that no relationship exists. It must be determined if one must be made.
7. Large values imply that the relationship is too complex and should be simplified.
To ease the creation of traceability matrices, it is advisable to add the relationships to the source documents for both backward traceability and forward traceability.
In other words, when an item is changed in one baselined document, it's easy to see what needs to be changed in the other.