Buy and Download >
Concept Proposal Template
The Concept Proposal is the first document to be created in the Software Development Life Cycle. It identifies the need or opportunity to improve a business function by highlighting where strategic goals are not being met or performance can be improved.
The Concept Proposal should demonstrate that this is a worthwhile investment and identify potential impacts on systems, staff, and operations. This document forms part of the Initiation Phase.
Use this template to:
1. Persuade stakeholders to invest in the proposed solution
2. Highlight where strategic goals can be realized
3. Justify why this proposal should be endorsed
4. Explain the rationale behind the nominated products/services
5. Show how the proposal aligns with the Strategic Plan
Here's are seven steps to help you build your Concept Proposal.
1. Context – Discuss the business drivers that triggered this document.
2. Investment – Identify the type, timing and source of investment required for this proposal.
3. Impact – Describe the potential impact the proposed solution may have on a technical, operations, and human resource level.
4. Needs – Highlight the appetite that exists for the proposed solution. Identify who requested the solution and what they have to gain from its implementation.
5. Performance – Identify specific areas where performance does not meet expectations.
6. Resources – Identify the sum total number of resources needed for the project, broken out by phase.
7. Strategy – Describe strategic and operational benefits. Show how benefits are linked to key objectives.
Chapter 1, Introduction
Chapter 2, Strategic Alignment
Chapter 3, Investment and Costs
Chapter 4, Resource Requirements
Chapter 5, Impact and Outcomes
Table of Contents toc
2 Strategic Alignment
2.2 Current Setup
2.3 Performance Measures
3 Investment and Costs
3.1 Description of Investment
3.2 Investment Support
3.3 Cost Estimates
4 Resource Requirements
4.1 Resource Identification
4.2 Resource Loading Chart
5 Impact & Outcomes