ECO 535 Wk 5 Team – Apply: World Economies Comparison Presentation
Review the Wk 5 Resources.
Prepare a 12- to 16-slide presentation for the 2 economies assigned to your team.
- Group 1: NAFTA vs European Union (world’s 2 largest economic entities)
- Group 2: China vs India (world’s 2 most populous countries)
- Group 3: South Korea vs North Korea (2 polar economic opposites, one people)
- Group 4: Venezuela vs Saudi Arabia (world’s 2 largest sources of oil reserves)
- Group 5: Nigeria vs Democratic Republic of the Congo (Civility vs. Chaos) (Note: the Republic of the Congo is not the same country as the Democratic Republic of the Congo)
- Group 6: Brazil vs South Africa (2 top emerging economies)
Research each economy assigned to your Team. Compare similarities and differences between your assigned countries/economies and how their economic, political, and cultural development since 1992 has influenced their economic growth and trade competitiveness.
Use tables and/or graphs to support your analysis of the following economic statistics/indicators of your 2 assigned economies through the most recent year available since 2009 (the trough of the last economic cycle). Whenever possible, plot the metric for both economies on the same chart.
- GDP per capita growth over time
- Unemployment rate over time
- Exports as a % of GDP over time
- National government debt as a % of GDP
Evaluate the reasons why the economic growth of the 2 economies/countries varied. Discuss how international trade influenced the strength of each economy. Discuss the role of value chains and value-added production.
Analyze how the failure to use value-added trade measures distorts trade statistics. For example, Boeing and Airbus airliners, Apple iPad and iPhone production, and North American integrated auto and light truck manufacturing.
Examine at least 2 industries that have provided each economy a comparative advantage in world trade.