CNL 501 Topic 4 Recovery and Support Groups
Buy and Download >
Locate an open recovery or support group in your local community. Please note this should be a non-clinical meeting. Attend one of the group’s meeting. The group can be for any type of substance or process addiction. It must be a peer-led support group to help with the recovery from any addictive disorder. Ensure that the meeting is considered "open" prior to attending it.
Important Note: The group must be attended in person. It is not appropriate to take notes while in the meeting, so please refrain and just take notes for yourself immediately after the meeting.
Write a two-part paper of 750-1,000 words that summarizes your experience at the meeting. Be sure to include important concepts presented in the meeting while maintaining the privacy of all group participants. Include the following in your paper:
Part 1: Attending the Meeting
- Attend a recovery support group meeting (include the name, time, and place of the meeting)
- Describe the format of the meeting that you attended and provide details about the atmosphere or experience of being in the meeting.
- Describe each of the following: Closed meeting, open meeting, steps, sponsor, and home group. Please note: These terms are specific to AA and NA.
Part 2: Individual Recovery Methods
- Based on your observations during the meeting, identify the impact of a substance use disorder on an individual’s life problems based on the meeting attended.
- List two examples of Participant Recovery Goals and the benefits of entering into the maintenance stage of recovery with these goals as identified in research.
- Identify two specific actions a counselor can take during the therapy session and related follow-up that can help someone with a substance use disorder be successful.
- List one specific example of how a counselor can help a client overcome self-defeating behaviors.
- Include at least three scholarly resources in your paper.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.