For this project, you will interview two older adults (65 or older) who are within 5 years…
Buy and Download >
For this project, you will interview two older adults (65 or older) who are within 5 years of each other’s age (both the same gender). One of the participants would classify him/herself as “sick” while the other participant would classify him/herself as “well”. This paper will “compare and contrast” the two individuals as well as comparing and contrasting their similarities and differences to what is documented in the scholarly/professional research literature.
- Summarize your interview with each older adult 10 points
Sample interview questions:
- Why do you consider yourself to be well/sick?
- If sick, what is diagnosis? How is that handled?
- What does your usual day consist of? (Basically ask about activities of daily living)
- What activities are easy/difficult?
- Can you easily bathe and dress?
- Do you have difficulty cleaning, doing laundry, grocery shopping?
- What are your social activities?
- Do you exercise? Do you have access to exercise?
- Do you have a strong support system such as family, friends, church?
- Do you take medications?
- Do you have trouble obtaining medications?
- Is your environment safe?
Relate each of their stories to the physical aspects of aging that you have been learning about this semester. 10 points Discuss those changes in terms of lifestyle and personality vs. those that may be associated with disease processes. 20 points Finally, choose 2 similarities and 2 differences between your interviews and research (in the scholarly/professional literature, see page 3) these similarities and differences. Relate your interview findings to peer-reviewed professional published research findings. 40 points 10 points for grammar and writing style 10 points for references and APA formatting
- This paper should be 15 pages in length.
- You must use professional writing style with proper grammar and tense.
- APA formatting is required for this paper.
- Cite your references in the body of your paper and in a references section at the end of your paper.
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th Edition). The rules of APA Style®- See: http://www.apastyle.org/ can help you with APA formatting and writing.
- Review writing requirements in this syllabus.
This paper is due on Sunday, 12/10/17 at 11:59 pm EST - No late papers will be accepted for any reason.
The final paper should include a title page, an introduction, a body, a conclusion and a reference list.
Your paper should use correct grammar, effective topic sentences and transitions, an organized and clear flow, limited use of quotations, and synthesis of information using your own words. It should incorporate references.
Citation and Reference Style
Your paper should be written in APA style (6th edition, 2009). For more details on APA formatting and online database citations, see www.umuc.edu/library/guides/apa.html
- Sources must have been published in the last five years.
- Examples of appropriate sources are scholarly professional journals, as explained at http://www.umuc.edu/library/guides/identify.shtml .
- Library databases recommended for this assignment include CINHAHL (Nursing and Allied Health Literature) and AgeLine.
- No more than two websites may be used, and they must be evaluated for trustworthiness at http://www.umuc.edu/library/guides/web.shtml#Evaluate .
- Feel free to ask a librarian at UMUC for research help at http://www.umuc.edu/library/help/ask.shtml