Part 2 Assignment In Part 1 of this assignment, you looked at your own language..dialect or...
Buy and Download >
Part 2 Assignment
In Part 1 of this assignment, you looked at your own language/dialect or variety and discussed attitudes that exist towards your language/dialect. In Part 2, you will choose another language/dialect and research the attitudes that exist about that language/dialect. You may not choose the same language you wrote about in Part 1.
Here are some questions to guide your research and to get you started writing:
After answering these questions, think about the language attitudes that you wrote about in both parts of this assignment and discuss the following in your conclusion:
- how people perceive others based on how they speak
- how these attitudes might be another way in which various forms of discrimination continue to occur
- what steps can you take to counter these perceptions and prejudices?
If you need help choosing a language to focus on in Part 2, you may investigate one of the following languages, or you may investigate one of your own choosing:
- South African Bantu speakers as perceived by White South Africans
- South African Afrikaansspeakers as perceived by Black South Africans
- Haitian Creole speakersas perceived by Dominicans
- Quebec Frenchspeakers as perceived by Parisian French
- British Cockney English speakers as perceived by upper class British
- Tibetan speakers as perceived by Han Chinese
- Korean speakers as perceived by Japanese
- Saami speakers as perceived by Finns and Norwegians
- Oromo speakers’ attitudes towards other (minority) language speakers in Eritrea
- Amaric speakers attitudes towards Tigrinya speakers in Eritrea
- Basquespeakers as perceived by Spaniards
- Hutu Bantuspeakers and Tutsi Bantu speakers attitudes towards each other
Your paper should be 11/2 - 2 pages minimum, with 12pt font and 1 inch margins. You must cite two sources (not including the textbook) in Part 2 of the assignment using APA or MLA format.