NUR2488 Module 03 Written Assignment - Cultural Considerations in Mental Health Nursing
Buy and Download >
This assignment asks you to write an evidence-based practice paper about cultural competency in mental health nursing. You paper should describe how you will include (or have included) cultural awareness in a client diagnosed with mental illness. The person you describe can be someone in your clinical setting, someone you have worked with in the past, or a theoretical client. Remember, culture can include gender equality, sexual orientation, and other cultures aside from race or religion.
Be sure to include:
- Assessment: What would you assess in regard to a client's culture? For example, are there specific dietary needs? Schedule changes to avoid interference with religious practices? Who is the family spokesperson? What would you assess?
- Diagnosis: List any mental health nursing diagnoses this person has or may be at risk for and include at least one cultural diagnosis.
- Planning: What planning needs to be done to ensure the cultural and emotional safety of the client?
- Implementation: What are interventions that would ensure the safety of your client in regard to culture? Include at least two interventions.
- Evaluation: How will you evaluate whether your implementation was effective? Make sure the parameters are objective and measurable.
- Summary: Discuss whether any completed interventions were successful. What could be done differently in the future? If the interventions have not yet been carried out, you might discuss some institutional changes that could be made to ensure cultural safety for all clients in that setting.
Here are some resources you can use along your way: