The HHS Office for Civil Rights administers the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules. The HIPAA Privacy Rule describes protected health information and how protected information can be used and disclosed....
Buy and Download >
The HHS Office for Civil Rights administers the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules. The HIPAA Privacy Rule describes protected health information and how protected information can be used and disclosed. The HIPAA Security Rule describes what is covered by the HIPAA privacy protections and the safeguards, which must be in place to ensure appropriate protection of electronic protected health information (Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology, 2015).
For this Assignment, review the following from this week’s Resources:
- Academic Writing checklist
- HIPAA paper template. (No abstract or reference list required for AWE 2000/3000.)
- Resources on the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules
- Resources on privacy and security and the use of mobile devices in patient care
- Privacy and Confidentiality Scenario
As you reflect on the Privacy and Confidentiality Scenario (located in this week’s Resources), consider the following points and write a 2-3-pages proposal addressing privacy issues:
- Identify the issues related to patient privacy and confidentiality in this scenario.
- Describe strategies your organization (or one with which you are familiar) might use to safeguard patient information from the use of mobile devices.
- Discuss the use of mobile devices for patient care in your organization (or one with which you are familiar) and any organizational policies related to mobile devices. Specifically, address the use of text messages to communicate patient care information and explain what happens to a message after it is sent.
- Analyze your personal strategies used to protect patient health information on mobile devices.
- Do your personal strategies adequately protect information in a patient care setting?
- Provide examples of alternate or additional methods that could be used to insure patient privacy and confidentiality is maintained.
Include a minimum of three resources from the professional nursing literature in the assigned course readings and other references in the Walden Library. If they are relevant, you may use one or two professional web sites in addition to the literature references. Be sure to use 12 pt. Times New Roman font, 1 inch margins, and double space your paper.