Module 1 - SLP PLANNING For the Session Long Project (SLP) this session you will be applying what...
Buy and Download >
Module 1 - SLP
For the Session Long Project (SLP) this session you will be applying what you’ve learned to an organization that you are personally familiar with. Choose an organization that you are currently working for, have worked for in the past, or are otherwise personally familiar with. The papers that you will write for each module will require a fair amount of detail about the four functions of management, so it is important to choose an organization that you know well.
Before starting this assignment, first thoroughly review the background material and make sure you have a solid understanding of the planning function of management. Then carefully think about the strategy of the organization you have chosen to write about as well as how strategic decisions are made at this organization. Then write a two- to three-page paper covering the following issues:
- Describe the mission, vision, and values of the organization you work for. For example, if your organization has a formal vision or mission statement, include it in your answer. Refer to pages 81-87 of Axson (201) for precise definitions of mission, vision, and values. This part of the assignment should be one to two pages in length, and should include one paragraph each on mission, vision, and values of your organization.
- What are the main strategic, operational, and tactical goals of your organization? Refer to Allen and Economy (2008) for the definitions of these three types of goals. This part of your paper should be one to two pages in length, and should include one paragraph on each of these three types of goals as applied to your organization.
SLP Assignment Expectations
- Answer the assignment questions directly.
- Stay focused on the precise assignment questions; don’t go off on tangents or devote a lot of space to summarizing general background materials.
- Include both a bibliography and in-text citations. See the Student Guide to Writing a High-Quality Academic Paper, including pages 13 and 14 on in-text citations. Another resource is the “Writing Style Guide,” which is found under “My Resources” in the TLC Portal.