JWI 531 Week 9 Assignment 3 - Financial Management II
Buy and Download >
Assignment 3: Take Your Pick
Due Week 9, Day 7 (Weight: 16.5%)
The following are specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment:
- Explain the influence of leverage and risk on financial planning.
- Develop a corporate strategy based on basic financial reports.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in advanced financial management.
- Write clearly and concisely about advanced financial management using proper writing mechanics
? We’d like you to design and develop strategy for a large public company using the themes within the two modules we’ve just completed: risk management and the international module. Essentially, we’d like to put you into the shoes of the CEO and design a few key strategies that would help grow earnings and reduce risk in the company’s operations.
? Let’s get a bit more specific. Pick a public company (preferably one you’ve examined before) and examine what the company is doing now, both in terms of risk management and global strategy. In particular, here’s what we recommend you do:
- Pull up the company’s annual report (10-K).
- Read the entire section titled “Item 1” (includes items describing the general business) and “Item 1A” (also known as the risks section).
- Then, read the section titled “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations.”
- Next, examine the company’s international business situation. Sometimes this information is located in a section called “Operating Segments”; other times it is not. You might have to dig around for this info.
- Also, search the document (hitting CTRL+F usually does the trick) and enter keywords that include “derivatives” and “hedging.”
- What do you see? What is the business doing right now?
Write a 3-4 page paper in which you do the following:
- Analyze the company’s existing risk management and international strategies.
- Prescribe new strategies