Assume that the United States invests heavily in government and corporate securities of Country...
Buy and Download >
Assume that the United States invests heavily in government and corporate securities of Country K. In addition, residents of Country K invest heavily in the United States. Approximately $10 billion worth of investment transactions occur between these two countries each year. The total dollar value of trade transactions per year is about $8 million. This information is expected to also hold in the future.
Because your firm exports goods to Country K, your job as international cash manager requires you to forecast the value of Country K’s currency (the krank) with respect to the dollar. Complete the following:
- Explain how each of the following conditions will affect the value of the krank, holding other things equal. Then, aggregate all of these impacts to develop an overall forecast of the krank’s movement against the dollar.
- U.S. inflation has suddenly increased substantially, while Country K’s inflation remains low.
- U.S. interest rates have increased substantially, while Country K’s interest rates remain low. Investors of both countries are attracted to high interest rates.
- The U.S. income level increased substantially, while Country K’s income level has remained unchanged.
- The U.S. is expected to impose a small tariff on goods imported from Country K.
- In the 1990s, Russia was attempting to import more goods but had little to offer other countries in terms of potential exports. In addition, Russia’s inflation rate was high. Explain the type of pressure that these factors placed on the Russian currency.
In your own words, post a substantive response to the Discussion Board question(s) and comment on other postings. Your response should address the DB question(s) and move the conversation forward. You will be graded on the quality of your postings, including mastery of the concept as well as critical thinking. If asked for your opinion, do not simply state that it is a good or bad idea; elaborate on your reasons and argument. Include enough detail to substantiate your thinking as well as your position on the questions or comments.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.