EN120 Assignment 02 English Composition I
Buy and Download >
Directions: Be sure to make an electronic copy of your answer before submitting it to Ashworth College for grading. Unless otherwise stated, answer in complete sentences, and be sure to use correct English spelling and grammar. Your response should be a maximum of two (2) double-spaced pages. Refer to the “Assignment Format” page for specific format requirements.
You are required to write a descriptive paragraph for this assignment for a total of 100 points. You may choose any person you have known personally or any place that was important in your life as your topic. However, you must demonstrate mastery of the following in your paragraph. Therefore, the depth (length) of your paragraph must be sufficient to demonstrate these concepts.
- Topic Sentence – Be sure this is a general statement that states the person, place, or thing you will describe. Highlight this sentence in aqua blue. (10 points)
- Body Sentences – Be sure to select ideas and write sentences that appeal to the senses (sight, sound, smell, taste, and/or touch) and that are definitely related to the topic sentence. The quality and relationship of these sentences will be evaluated. (10 points)
- Coherence: Be sure that you organize your paragraph in the best way possible. A coherent paragraph is clear, logical, and readable.
(1) Order: Select the best order for your paragraph (time, space, or importance). Select transitions for your paragraph that demonstrate your understanding of the order. At a minimum, you must use three (3) transitions to demonstrate your understanding of this concept. Highlight these transitions in yellow. (15 points)
(2) Related Sentences: Be sure to repeat words and ideas; use synonyms and substitutions to demonstrate your understanding of this concept. Highlight these related words or sentence parts in gray. (15 points)
- Sentence Structure: In your paragraph, demonstrate your understanding of the following sentence structures. You must demonstrate at least one (1) of EACH of the following structures. Highlight these in green. (5 points each, for a possible total of 20 points)
(1) Coordinating conjunction
(3) Conjunctive adverb
(4) Subordinate clause followed by an independent clause
- Be sure to complete your paragraph with a well-written concluding sentence. (15 points)