BUS 1038 Assignment 3 Case Study 1- Constitution v. Statutes
Buy and Download >
Case Study 1: Constitution v. Statutes
Jeremy accepted a management position at Future Electronics, a distribution center for electronic parts. When arriving for work on the first day, Jeremy notices a sign that states weapons, including handguns, are not permitted anywhere on the employer’s premises. While completing his new hire paperwork, Jeremy sees the same information about weapons being banned from company property in the employee handbook. Additionally, the handbook informs employees that the company reserves the right to search persons, vehicles, and other property. Jeremy has a permit to carry a handgun and it is currently locked in his vehicle in the parking lot. Jeremy signed his acceptance of the terms of the handbook; however, he had no intention of leaving his gun at home. Three months later, a disgruntled employee stormed in the building and shot the receptionist and his supervisor. Two weeks later, briefcases, purses, and vehicles were randomly searched by Future’s Security Department. When the officers found the loaded gun under the seat of Jeremy’s car, he was terminated. Use the South University Online Library or the Internet to find a statute in your state that references guns in the workplace. Consider combining terms (statute, guns, work) in your search. Note: If you cannot find a statute for your state, you may use one from another state. Based on your research and the scenario, provide answers to the following questions.
- Identify the statute and provide a brief summary of it.
- Did the company violate Jeremy’s Second Amendment rights? Why or why not?
- Did the company violate Jeremy’s Fourth Amendment rights? Why or why not?
- If Jeremy files a lawsuit, should the case be filed in a federal court or state court? Why?
- Did Future’s prohibition on weapons violate the state statute you selected?
- What advice would you provide to the company and Jeremy?
Support responses with examples and use APA formatting in the paper.