MBA 6018 Module 4 Assignment 2 -Statistical Inference 2 Assessment Description
Buy and Download >
6018 Unit 4A2 -Statistical Inference 2 Assessment Description
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 3: Analyze business decision opportunities using basic inferential statistics.
- Determine the null hypothesis and alternative hypothesis for making a product performance comparison.
- Competency 4: Assess the use of qualitative data to support business decision-making.
- Compute the p-value to determine acceptance or rejection of a null hypothesis regarding a product performance comparison.
- Competency 5: Integrate data analysis into general business management planning and decision-making.
- Compute the appropriate statistical test to determine acceptance or rejection of a null hypothesis.
- Competency 6: Communicate in a manner that is professional and consistent with expectations for members of the business professions.
- Communicate in a manner that is professional and consistent with expectations for members of the business professions.
For this assessment, you will need to use Excel to calculate statistical parameters, the mean, variance, and standard deviation. You will also need to choose an appropriate statistical test for a scenario, and calculate p-value. To choose the statistical test and calculate the p-value, you are encouraged to use the Analysis Toolpak software (for PC users) or the StatPlus:mac software (for Mac users). If you do not have one of these data analysis programs (or a comparable tool) available on your computer, refer to the instructions in the Unit Resources to activate or download the software.
Practical Application Scenario
Your love of golf has brought you back to the range as the new product manager for UniDun's "Straight Flight" (SF) line of golf balls. The company's research and development group has been experimenting with dimple patterns that promote straight flight and have achieved some degree of success. You, however, are worried about the effect that the new pattern might have on driving distance.
The Golf Ball Distance Test file in the Assessment Resources contains test results that compare the driving distances for the two different kinds of balls: 40 balls of the new SF type, and 40 of the old UniDun type. Your job is to determine if the old UniDun balls can be driven further than the new SF balls. To resolve this question, you need appropriate answers to the following four questions.
- Identify the null and alternative hypotheses you should form for this test. State each both as a written explanation and as a math equation.
- Identify the appropriate statistical test to accept or reject the null hypothesis.
- Calculate the p-value.
- What should you tell the vice president of marketing about the new golf ball product?
Compile your work into one Microsoft Word file, pasting in the tables you have used to make your calculations. Be sure to clearly title your tables, including each row and column. Highlight the results of your data calculations within the tables.