|Disease or Disorder
||Cultural Beliefs/Practices Affecting this Disease
||Available Consumer Resources
(ex. financing, information, support)
|Impact on Society
|Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
||· Prevention (education, exposure avoidance)
· Antiretroviral treatment (required to begin directly after infection)
· Antiviral medications sometimes slow disease progression, but cannot cure it once contracted.
|· AIDS is a disease that only affects the LGBT community (myth).
· Contracting HIV is an automatic death sentence (myth).
· HIV/AIDS is currently incurable (fact).
· Education and proper preventive measures are crucial in fighting this disease.
|· Worldwide, 2.5M new cases reported in 2011 (CDC)
· 635,000 individuals with AIDS have died in the US to date (CDC).
· Est. 1.1M people in U.S. living with AIDS in 2009 (CDC).
· Funding for prevention and research from the government and