Silk Road Journey From China Through Central Asia
Steeped in history, colored by centuries of lore, a journey along the ancient route of the Silk Road is the ultimate travel experience. This exciting program follows the historic Silk Road across the mountains, oases, and deserts of western China and Central Asia. Join us on a journey along one of the most famous routes of history and experience these extraordinary places:
- Starting from the modern Chinese capital of Beijing, we travel to the ancient Chinese capital of Xian, head of the Silk Road.
- Dunhuang at the edge of the Gobi Desert, where ancient Buddhist treasures dazzled 19th century European explorers.
- The western most remnants of the Great Wall, and the low, hot Turpan Oasis, where ancient mud-brick cities are returning to the sands.
- Across the fearsome Taklamakan Desert to Hotan, where silk is still processed in the centuries old traditional manner.
- Kyrgyzstan, a country where nomadic herders spend the summer in yurts.
- The Uzbek cities of Tashkent, Samarkand, Bukara and Khiva noted for their stunning Islamic architecture, hand woven carpets and lively markets.
- Remote and extraordinary Turkmenistan. Travels across Central Asia in the footsteps of Marco Polo and the silk merchants'' caravans from Beijing to Samarkand, past Magao Cave dwellings, through the Taklamaken desert and wild mountain passes into Kyrgyzstan, and onward to Uzbekistan.