Hampton Court Palace Gardens iPod MP3 Audio Tour
Hampton Court Palace is a royal palace in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames in south west London. The palace is located 11.7 miles (18.8 km) south west of Charing Cross and upstream of Central London on the River Thames. It was originally built for Cardinal Wolsey, a favourite of King Henry VIII, circa 1514. It became a symbol of the monarchy’s power and prestige, and was a model for royal estates across England. Today, the early Tudor palace of Henry VIII merges with the 17th century additions commissioned by William III. The collection of gardens surrounding the palace reflects the styles and tastes of the royals who lived there. Charles II brought his great fondness for French design to Hampton, creating gardens that clearly display inspiration from French examples. William and Mary greatly improved the gardens during the 1600s. William and Mary favored the popular baroque style, today fully visible in the beautifully restored Privy Garden built in 1702. Hampton Court was opened to the public in 1838 by Queen Victoria. Today, visitors enjoy more than 60 acres of formal gardens surrounded by 750 acres of parkland.
Stops on This Tour: 1) Introduction, 2) Privy Garden, 3) Tijou Screen, 4) Knot Garden, 5) Sunken Pond Gardens, 6) The Orangery, 7) Green House and The Great Vine, 8) The Banqueting House, 9) Fountain Garden, 10) The Wilderness, 11) Laburnum Tunnel, 12) The Maze, 13) The Tiltyard Gardens.