HUM 105 Entire Course
HUM 105 Entire Course
HUM 105 Entire Course Link
HUM 105 Week 1 Foundations of Mythology
Write 150- to 200-word responses to each of the following. This is a short answer assignment, not a paper. Just copy and paste the questions into a MS Word document and type out your answers. Support your responses with examples from the required readings.
- How is the word myth used popularly? For example, what does the statement, “It’s a myth” mean? In contrast, how is the word myth used in the academic context? After considering the definition in your textbooks and course materials, write a definition in your own words.
- Why do myths from different cultures around the world address such similar or universal themes? Think about how myths explain the unknown and the tribulations of mankind.
- What is the relationship between mythology and religion? Where do mythology and religion intersect? Where do they diverge?
- How would you defend mythology’s relevance in contemporary culture? Think about familial and cultural traditions. Also, consider how mythology is used in the arts and in advertising to typify human experience.
Format your citations and references according to the appropriate course level APA guidelines.
Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.
HUM 105 Week 2 Cosmic Creation Myths Across Cultures
Pick two creation myths from this list.
- Amma and Nummo prepare the world (from Myth and Knowing)
- Out of the Blue (from Myth and Knowing)
- The Creation of Ulligara and Zalgarra (from Myth and Knowing)
- Genesis: The Creation Account (from Myth and Knowing)
- The Popul Vu (from Myth and Knowing)
- The Creation Death and Rebirth of the Universe from Northern Europe (from World Mythology)
Write a paper with a minimum of 700 words addressing the following:
- Which world or worlds, such as sky, earth, and underworld, are represented in the myths you chose? What are the elements of these worlds?
- Include the role of cosmic occurrences or natural phenomena, such as celestial bodies, floods, rain, wind, and fire.
- Based on information from Myth and Knowing and the categories of creation, describe the style of creation (e.g. secretion, ex nihilo, etc.). Explain why the style of creation is significant to the culture that created it.
- Why do you think cosmic or creation myths are important to a culture? What value do they bring, if any?
- Compare important features of your two myths. Explain major similarities and differences between the creators, the style of creation, and the purposes of these myths in their respective cultures.
Important: Do not simply summarize two myths from the readings. Read the myths, understand them, and use specific details from them to address the required elements above.
Format your citations and references consistent with APA guidelines.