HIS 206 Week 5 Final Project
We anticipate that this assignment will take you 20 hours to complete (this may vary by student). This includes time for research, reading of outside materials, critical thinking, writing, revision of text, and reflection on the topic. You should expect the assignment to be graded and returned with feedback from your instructor no later than Sunday at 11:59PM following the due date.
For your Final Project, you may write a paper or create a PowerPoint presentation.
• If you choose to write a paper, it must be four to five pages in length, plus a title page and reference list, formatted according to APA style.
• If you choose to create a PowerPoint project, it must be 12 to 15 slides, plus a title slide and a reference slide, formatted according to APA style.
o Please note that whether you choose to write a paper or create a PowerPoint presentation, you must properly cite your sources according to APA style.
To complete this project
• Choose from one of the topics below and analyze its history from 1877 to the present.
• Select four specific events or developments that span the years covered by this course, based on their impact on the topic. Two of the events must be from before 1945 and two events must be from after 1945. You must assess how the events in relationship to the topic changed over time and explain how the changes occurred. Please refer back to your Week Three Assignment, consider your instructor’s comments and make any necessary revisions.
• Write an introduction with a thesis. Your thesis should summarize the main conclusions that you discovered while researching your topic and that you will support with a logical argument based on evidence (sources). Please refer back to your Week Three Assignment, consider your instructor’s comments, and make any necessary revisions to your thesis statement.
• Connect each of the events or developments you have chosen back to your main thesis. The information presented must be organized and in chronological order.
• You must use at least four sources in your paper other than the textbook, with at least two primary sources and at least two secondary sources. Please refer back to your Week Three Assignment, consider your instructor’s comments, and make any necessary revisions.
Choose one of the following topics:
• Native Americans
• African Americans
For example, a student writing a paper about the topic African Americans might choose the Harlem Renaissance and the Black Power Movement as two of their events. In that case, the paper would provide a description of the two movements. It would explain what each one revealed about the role of African Americans in broader American society in, respectively, the 1920s and the late 1960s, explain how and why the roles of African Americans in the 1920s differed from their roles in the late 1960s, and explain how events in the 1920s may have contributed to developments in the later decade.