HSM 240 Week 1 Social Problems
Over my years of teaching this class, I have had many students who at the end of the course have said, they wished they had paid more attention to this assignment, so I am hoping that your will carefully read these instructions.
HSM/240 is a “build-on” course, which means that each assignment relates to the next. The purpose of every assignment is to focus on the formation and execution of public policy and programs by government and private organizations within human services. It’s intended to help students learn to analyze and critique organizations and the policies and programs within those organizations.
The first CheckPoint is CRITICAL because it sets the foundation for the next 8 weeks. For the next 8 weeks, you will need to evaluate the organization that you chose in Week 1. Take some time to carefully think about the Agency you will evaluate. Preferably it is one that addresses a social program or problem that you are passionate about. Make sure to review the instructions in your syllabus for choosing your Agency.
Write three separate paragraphs addressing the following:
- Write definitions for the words problem, policy, and program, within the context of human services. Then, give a brief example for each definition.
- Make a list of five to seven social problems that you consider most critical for the United States to address. Write one to two sentences describing the extent of each social problem.
- Locate an agency or organization that addresses one of the above social problems. You must use this same agency throughout the course, so select one that is interesting to you and that has enough public information, online or on site, that you may eventually analyze the entire agency and its programs. For example, choosing a street-front church that collects and delivers clothing for the poor will probably not have enough information for you to analyze. An established nonprofit or government organization, however, may have sufficient information on its website. Provide an overview of the agency with 250 -350 words. Include the link if you found it on the Internet.
- DO NOT select the following organizations because they are not approved for evaluation in this course:
- The Covenant House http://www.covenanthouse.org/
- The Texas Workforce Commission.
- The American Red Cross
- The Salvation Army
- The Boys and Girls Clubs of America
- Any Organization that does not provide a direct benefit or service to consumers.
Select an established nonprofit or a government organization that you will analyze throughout this course. This agency or organization should have enough information for you to analyze on a website or an actual location. Provide an overview of the agency. Remember to chose one program from your list of social problems. (Thnis is the program that you will concentrate on during this class) Include the internet link for the website of the program.
The paper will also be graded for grammar, spelling, and punctuation.