COMM 400 Week 3 Pulling the Weight at Work – Group Training Presentation
Watch the video clip “Pulling the Weight at Work.”
- Click on Student Edition, located under Online Learning Center.
- Click on Video Series on the left-hand side.
Write, individually, a 1-page reaction to the small-group dynamics demonstrated in the video. From a communication perspective, what went wrong? How could the members have handled the situation differently? Post your reaction in your Learning Team forum. Review and comment on the reactions of each team member. Identify common observations.
Analyze, as a team, the small-group dynamics demonstrated in the video by considering the following:
- The scope and functions of the small group within the organization, such as idea generation, event planning, process or creation, evaluation, and quality control
- The effectiveness of each member’s communication styles. What are the opportunities for improvement?
- The type of leadership within the small group, such as fixed, rotational, or ad hoc
- How the group leader and members communicate during group meetings
- Communication obstacles, such as groupthink tendencies, credibility issues, and insufficient listening
Refer to this week’s readings to inform your analysis.
Create a group training presentation based on the communication deficiencies displayed in the video. Your training plan may be in the format of your choice.
- You may choose a 15- to 20-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation with speaker notes, or an equivalent multimedia program or technology application, such as video, audio, or web conferencing software.
Include the following in your group training presentation:
- The communication skills the group must implement to become more effective
- The roles each member must adopt to become more effective
- The leadership skills the manager must demonstrate to become more effective
- Appropriate managerial actions to mitigate communication obstacles
- Conflict management strategies to encourage positive outcomes
Include a reference slide.
Format your training presentation consistent with APA guidelines.
Present your Group Training Presentation.
- For Local Campus students, these are 10- to 15-minute oral presentations accompanied by a multimedia presentation.
- For Online and Directed Study students, these are multimedia presentations with notes.