SOCI220 Assignment 2: Music Analysis [Teenage Tragedy]
PURPOSE: The purpose of this assignment is to use content analysis to critically analyze how one social issue/problem is discussed and represented in popular culture through music lyrics.
BACKGROUND: There are many agents of popular culture though which the messages, themes and symbols of popular culture are produced and consumed. Media is a key agent of popular culture, and within it music is one mode for the production and consumption of popular culture . The music of the 1960s marked a key period of transition in the United States as themes of social problems and dissidence started to fill the radio waves. This assignment will allow you to explore one social issue or problem in music today.
See attached document (NOTE THAT THERE ARE TWO OPTIONS: OPTION 1 AND OPTION 2) for a detailed assignment description.
Assignment 2 meets the following course objectives:
• Compare and contrast culture, popular, high culture, elite culture, mass culture, low culture, subculture and counterculture.
• Describe examples of the different types of norms operative in popular culture, and how these are related to the process of social control.
• Apply key cultural theories and analytical dimensions for examining popular culture.
• Explain how various elements of popular culture inform or reflect our attitudes, behavior, and society and why the popular culture becomes popular.
• Illustrate diversity in popular culture and concepts of multiculturalism, ethnocentrism, and cultural relativism with reference to key stratifying factors such as gender, race, ethnicity, class, age, region and sexuality.
• Analyze culture within individual, social, historical, political, economic, and global contexts.
• Describe the cultural and social significance of popular culture in shaping the larger contemporary American society.