ENG 215 Week 5 Assignment 3: Persuasive Paper Part 1: A Problem Exists
Using your thesis statement and research, present the problem that needs to be addressed with your proposed solution. Note: Your solution, advantages, and challenges, will be in Parts 2 and 3.
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
1. Provide an appropriate title and an interesting opening paragraph to appeal to your stated audience (appeal with logic, ethics, or emotion).
2. Include a defensible, relevant thesis statement in the first paragraph. (Revised from Assignment 2)
3. Describe the history and status of the issue and provide an overview of the problem(s) that need to be addressed. This should be one or two (1or 2) paragraphs.
4. Explain the first problem (economic, social, political, environmental, complexity, inequity, ethical/moral, etc.) and provide support for your claims. This should be one or two (1 or 2) paragraphs.
5. Explain the second problem (economic, social, political, environmental, complexity, inequity, ethical/moral, etc.). and provide support for your claims. This should be one or two (1 or 2) paragraphs.
6. Explain the third problem (economic, social, political, environmental, complexity, inequity, ethical/moral, etc.) and provide support for your claims. This should be one or two (1 or 2) paragraphs.
7. Provide a concluding paragraph that summarizes the stated problems and promises a solution.
8. Develop a coherently structured paper with an introduction, body, and conclusion.
9. Use effective transitional words, phrases, and sentences throughout the paper.
10. Support claims with at least three (3) quality, relevant references. Use credible, academic sources available through Strayer University’s Resource Center.
Your assignment must follow these formatting guidelines:
o Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
o Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
o Note: Submit your assignment to Connect Composition Plus and to the designated plagiarism program so that you can make revisions before submitting your paper to your professor.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
o Recognize the elements and correct use of a thesis statement.
o Recognize the use of summary, paraphrasing, and quotation to communicate the main points of a text.
o Analyze the rhetorical strategies of ethos, pathos, logos in writing samples and for incorporation into essays or presentations.
o Prepare a research project that supports an argument with structure and format appropriate to the genre.
o Recognize how to organize ideas with transitional words, phrases, and sentences.
o Incorporate relevant, properly documented sources to substantiate ideas.
o Write clearly and concisely about selected topics using proper writing mechanics.
o Use technology and information resources to research selected issues for this course.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic/organization of the paper, and language and writing skills. Click here to access the rubric for this assignment.