ACCT 312 Week 1 to 5 Quiz and Midterm Exam
ACCT 312 Week 1 Quiz
1. (TCO 1) Which causes a temporary difference between taxable and pretax accounting income?
2. (TCO 1) Which difference between financial accounting and tax accounting ordinarily creates a deferred tax liability?
3. (TCO 1) Which temporary difference ordinarily creates a deferred tax asset?
4. (TCO 1) Under current tax law, a net operating loss may be carried forward up to
5. (TCO 1) Which causes a permanent difference between taxable income and pretax accounting income?
ACCT 312 Week 2 Quiz
1. TCO 2) Which causes a temporary difference between taxable and pretax accounting income?
2. (TCO 2) Which statement typifies defined contribution plans?
3. (TCO 2) Which is not a way of measuring the pension obligation?
4. (TCO 2) The PBO is increased by
5. (TCO 3) Our company has a defined benefit pension plan. On December 31 (the end of the fiscal year), the company received the PBO report from the actuary. The following information was included in the report: ending PBO, $220,000; benefits paid to retirees, $20,000; interest cost, $14,400. The discount rate applied by the actuary was 8%. Which was the beginning PBO?
ACCT 312 Week 3 Quiz
1. (TCO 4) Common shareholders usually have all of the following rights, except
2. (TCO 4) Outstanding common stock is
3. (TCO 4) Our company declared a property dividend to give marketable securities to its common stockholders. The securities had cost our company $14 million and currently have a fair value of $32 million. Which would be included in recording the property dividend declaration?
4. (TCO 4) When treasury shares are resold at a price below cost,
5. (TCO 4) Our company has outstanding 400 million shares, $2 par common shares, selling for $8 per share. After a 1 for 4 reverse stock split,
ACCT 312 Week 4 Midterm Exam
1. (TCO 1) Which creates a deferred tax liability?
2. (TCO 1) A deferred tax asset represents a
3. (TCO 2) The three components of pension expense that are present most often are
4. (TCO 2) Which of the following constitutes the accumulated benefit obligation?
5. (TCO 3) Prior to 1993, postretirement benefits other than pensions generally were accounted for on the
6. (TCO 4) Which of the following transactions decreases retained earnings?
7. (TCO 4) When a property dividend is declared, the reduction in retained earnings is for
8. (TCO 5) Executive stock options should be reported as compensation expense
9. (TCO 5) Our company granted options for 2 million shares of its $1 par common stock at the beginning of the current year. The exercise price is $35 per share, which was also the market value of the stock on the grant date. The fair value of the options was estimated at $9 per option. If the options have a vesting period of 5 years, which would be the balance in Paid-in Capital - Stock Options 3 years after the grant date?
10. (TCO 6) Which of the following is not a potential common stock?
11. (TCO 6) When computing diluted earnings per share, which of the following will be omitted from the calculation?
12. (TCO 1) Please describe permanent differences and provide three examples.
13. (TCO 2) Please describe defined-contribution plans. What is an example? Who bears the risk? Who typically contributes to these plans?
14. (TCO 4) What are the two ways for a company to reacquire stock? Please also discuss when a company reacquires stock and whether there is a difference between the amount the shares were originally sold for and the cash paid to buy the shares back.
15. (TCO 5) What is FASB’s stance on companies recording compensation expense for stock option plans? What method is preferable? What is the journal entry to record compensation expense?
ACCT 312 Week 5 Quiz
1.(TCO 7) An accounting change that is reported by the prospective approach is reflected in the financial statements of
2. TCO 7) When the retrospective approach is used for a change to the FIFO method, which account is usually not adjusted?
3. (TCO 7) Our company switched from double-declining balance depreciation to straight-line depreciation. As a result,
4. (TCO 7) A change that uses the prospective approach is accounted for by
5. (TCO 7) Which change should be accounted for using the retrospective approach?