PROJ 586 Final Exam
PROJ 586 Final Exam1
1. (TCO A) In the _____ organization structure, the project manager is responsible for the project results, whereas the functional manager is responsible for providing the resources needed to achieve the results.
2. (TCO H) What is the longest phase of the project life cycle?
3. (TCO B) The lowest level item of any one branch of the WBS is called a(n) _____.
4. (TCO D) A _____ is a predefined set of actions that will be implemented if the risk event occurs.
5. (TCO F) ____the project involves measuring actual progress and comparing it to planned progress.
6. (TCO C) If _____ is positive, it represents the maximum amount of time that the activities on a particular path can be delayed without jeopardizing the completion of the project by its required completion time.
7. (TCO G) Which of the following is not an advantage of using project management software?
8. (TCO A) Which of the following is not an example of a project?
9. (TCO C) Why are activities drawn in a serial relationship on a network diagram?
10. (TCO F) The project cost estimate is allocated to _____.
11. (TCO F) It is important to use the _____ as the standard against which actual cost is compared.
12. (TCO C) Calculate the earliest start for Task B if its predecessor, Task A, finishes on day 3 and the duration of Task B is 2 days.
1. (TCO B) Describe the benefits of including the people who will be involved in performing the project when planning the project.
2. (TCO E) Part 1: What are some common barriers to team effectiveness? Part 2: Describe an example of a team project that would include barriers to success.
3. (TCO C) A project to remodel an office area has the following activities.
4. (TCO A) Part 1: Compare and contrast the responsibilities of a functional manager and a project manager in a matrix-type organization. Part 2: A company manufactures furniture. Which organization structure is the most suitable? Why? Part 3: An organization builds custom houses for urban-renewal areas. Which organization structure is the most suitable? Why?
5. (TCO D) A firm hosts data-mining servers and performs data mining for other companies that do not desire the costs of hardware, software, or expertise to data mine their data. The firm is planning to roll out faster data-mining software that will reduce the time to sift through customers' data by a fraction of the present time. Part 1: List and discuss the major risk-management functions from a project-management perspective for the data-mining software project. Part 2: Describe a risk event, the consequences, and the risk-response plan for the data-mining software project.
6. (TCO F) Analyze and compare the costs of the two projects in terms of performance efficiency, budget, and schedule. Make sure to show your calculations and analyze and explain the results. Project A: The budgeted cost of work performed is $72,000, and the actual cost of work performed is $75,000. The budgeted cost of work scheduled is $73,000. Project B: The budgeted cost of work performed is $48,000, and the actual cost of work performed is $100,000. The budgeted cost of work scheduled is $122,000.
7. (TCO B) An environmental consulting firm has been hired to clean up contaminated ground water beneath the site of a former chemical factory. The cleanup design process consists of evaluating several alternatives; preparing a conceptual design for the most appropriate alternative; evaluating the conceptual design by performing a small-scale pilot test on site; and, based on the results of the pilot test, preparing a final design. Installation of the cleanup system will be performed by subcontractors under the supervision of the consultant...........Number the WBS codes so that the level of each activity is clearly identified. Do not worry about indentation.
8. (TCO B) You are reaching the end of your graduate-school program, and you are planning a large party to celebrate your success! You have rented out the local forest preserve as the venue for your party. Applying your project-management skills, you want to ensure you have everything planned out, and you’ve asked your family and friends to be a part of your team to hold this party. At your party, you have made it clear to your team what you want to have delivered. After all, it’s your party--you can have whatever you want! Some of the key items you want............. a) To ensure you have a clear scope for your team, create a 2-level WBS. Don’t forget to include your WBS numbering. b) In your WBS, how many work packages have been created ?