ECO 561 Final Exam
ECO 561 Final Exam 6
1) Suppose that in the clothing market, production costs have fallen, but the equilibrium price and quantity purchased have both increased. Based on this information you can conclude that
2) Camille's Creations and Julia's Jewels both sell beads in a competitive market. If at the market price of $5, both are running out of beads to sell (they can't keep up with the quantity demanded at that price), then we would expect both Camille's and Julia's to:
3) In which of the following industries are economies of scale exhausted at relatively low levels of output?
4) The average cost curves (AVC and ATC) should be minimized
5) If the wage rate increases,
6) The real wage will rise if the nominal wage
7) Construction workers frequently sponsor political lobbying in support of greater public spending on highways and public buildings. One reason they do this is to
8) Paying an above-equilibrium wage rate might reduce unit labor costs by
9) A good real-world example of monopolistic competition is
10) An industry comprising a small number of firms, each of which considers the potential reactions of its rivals in making price-output decisions, is called
11) Price is constant or given to the individual firm selling in a purely competitive market because
12) The most important pricing strategy for a perfectly competitive firm is
13) Which of the following is a nonprice barrier of entry?
14) A third-degree price discrimination can be applied to which of the following market structures?
15) Investing in R&D is more likely to occur in markets where
16) All economies of scale are achieved at the minimum of
17) Inflation is undesirable because it
18) An economy’s aggregate demand curve shifts leftward or rightward by more than changes in initial spending because of the
19) Suppose productivity rises in a particular economy, but wages stay the same. Other things equal,
20) If personal taxes were decreased and resource productivity increased simultaneously, the equilibrium
21) Expansionary fiscal policy is so named because it
22) Suppose the price level is fixed, the MPC is .5, and the GDP gap is a negative $100 billion. To achieve full-employment output (exactly), government should
23) GDP understates the value of output produced by an economy because it
24) Other things equal, a decrease in the real interest rate will
25) Other things equal, a decrease in corporate income taxes will
26) Inflation in U.S. prices will cause
27) The quantity theory of money states that
28) Suppose that U.S. prices rise 4% over the next year while prices in Mexico rise 6%. According to the purchasing power parity theory of exchange rates, what should happen to the exchange rate between the dollar and the peso?
29) A rise in the domestic interest rate leads to capital
30) A firm under monopolistic competition will earn