BSOP 429 Final Exam
BSOP 429 Final Exam 1
1. (TCO 4) The priority rule, which will sequence jobs in the order they are received, is _____.
2. (TCO 2) In an assignment method problem, if it takes Abe 3 hours to build a birdhouse and 4 hours for a doghouse, and Betty takes 4 hours for a birdhouse and 3 hours for a doghouse, what is the reduced cost (in hours) of assigning Betty to build the doghouse?
3. (TCO 2) A major difference between manufacturing and service systems in terms of scheduling is
4. (TCO 3) Scheduling in service systems may involve scheduling which of the following?
5. (TCO 5) The owner and operator of the local franchise of Handyman, Inc., has four jobs to do today, shown in the order they were received:
6. (TCO 6) Building up an inventory of standard parts or modules instead of immediately producing the finished end items is the essence of
7. (TCO 7) With regard to suppliers, JIT systems typically require
8. (TCO 10) Which of the following is characteristic of the JIT philosophy?
9. (TCO 1) In make-to-stock systems, fluctuations in sales volume are managed through which of the following?
10. (TCO 5) In an MRP master schedule, the planning horizon is often separated into a series of times periods called
1. (TCO 8) Explain how cellular manufacturing represents a flexible manufacturing system.
2. (TCO 11) State the four building blocks of lean operations, and explain how fast and simple are the two common threads that run through them.
3. (TCO 9) Elaborate on the statement: "The output of the system cannot exceed the output of the bottleneck operation(s)."
4. (TCO 4) Differentiate between infinite loading and finite loading as two major approaches used to load work centers.
5. (TCO 12) The theory of constraints has a goal of maximizing flow through the entire system.
6. (TCO 2) Refer to the following data for jobs waiting to be processed at a single work center (jobs are shown in order of arrival):
7. (TCO 10) Respond to the question: "Which is better, MRP or JIT?"
8. (TCO 1) The design of the MPC system is influenced by some key features of market demand and product design. Name the key features that will lead to an assemble-to-order system and explain the rationale.
9. (TCO 6) Market requirements drive the choice of the shop floor system approach. Describe and explain the type of market requirements that would be suitable for an MRP-based system, along the lines of product design, product variety, product volume per period, product mix changes, and delivery schedule changes.
10. (TCO 10) Manufacturing strategy also drives the choice of shop floor system. Describe and explain the strategies that lend themselves to a JIT-based system, from the perspective of WIP, changeover cost, and process choice.