ACC 291 Final Exam 5
ACC 291 Final Exam
1) Intangible assets are the rights and privileges that result from ownership of long-lived assets that
2) Gains on an exchange of plant assets that has commercial substance are
3) Using the percentage of receivables method for recording bad debts expense, estimated uncollectible accounts are $15,000. If the balance of the Allowance for Doubtful Accounts is $3,000 credit before adjustment, what is the amount of bad debts expense for that period?
4) When an interest-bearing note matures, the balance in the Notes Payable account is
5) Costs incurred to increase the operating efficiency or useful life of a plant asset are referred to as
6) Hilton Company issued a four-year interest-bearing note payable for $300,000 on January 1, 2011. Each January the company is required to pay $75,000 on the note. How will this note be reported on the December 31, 2012 balance sheet?
7) When the effective-interest method of bond discount amortization is used
8) Capital stock to which the charter has assigned a value per share is called
9) Manner, Inc. has 5,000 shares of 5%, $100 par value, noncumulative preferred stock and 20,000 shares of $1 par value common stock outstanding at December 31, 2011. There were no dividends declared in 2010. The board of directors declares and pays a $45,000 dividend in 2011. What is the amount of dividends received by the common stockholders in 2011?
10) Two individuals at a retail store work the same cash register. You evaluate this situation as
11) The Sarbanes-Oxley Act imposed which new penalty for executives?
12) The Sarbanes-Oxley Act requires that all publicly traded companies maintain a system of internal controls. Internal controls can be defined as a plan to
13) The purchase of treasury stock
14) Which of the following is a fundamental factor in having an effective, ethical corporate culture?
15) Dawson Company issued 500 shares of no-par common stock for $4,500. Which of the following journal entries would be made if the stock has a stated value of $2 per share?
16) Hahn Company uses the percentage of sales method for recording bad debts expense. For the year, cash sales are $300,000 and credit sales are $1,200,000. Management estimates that 1% is the sales percentage to use. What adjusting entry will Hahn Company make to record the bad debts expense?
17) Blanco, Inc. has the following income statement (in millions): BLANCO, INC. Income Statement for the Year Ended December 31, 2011 Using vertical analysis, what percentage is assigned to Net Income?
18) Marsh Company has other operating expenses of $240,000. There has been an increase in prepaid expenses of $16,000 during the year, and accrued liabilities are $24,000 lower than in the prior period. Using the direct method of reporting cash flows from operating activities, what were Marsh's cash payments for operating expenses?
19) Andrews, Inc. paid $45,000 to buy back 9,000 shares of its $1 par value common stock. This stock was sold later at a selling price of $6 per share. The entry to record the sale includes a
20) The book value of an asset is equal to the
21) Ordinary repairs are expenditures to maintain the operating efficiency of a plant asset and are referred to as
22) The interest charged on a $200,000 note payable, at a rate of 6%, on a 2-month note would be:
23) If a corporation issued $3,000,000 in bonds which pay 10% annual interest, what is the annual net cash cost of this borrowing if the income tax rate is 30%?
24) A corporation issued $600,000, 10%, 5-year bonds on January 1, 2011 for 648,666, which reflects an effective-interest rate of 8%. Interest is paid semiannually on January 1 and July 1. If the corporation uses the effective-interest method of amortization of bond premium, the amount of bond interest expense to be recognized on July 1, 2011, is
25) If a corporation has only one class of stock, it is referred to as
26) ABC, Inc. has 1,000 shares of 5%, $100 par value, cumulative preferred stock and 50,000 shares of $1 par value common stock outstanding at December 31, 2011. What is the annual dividend on the preferred stock?
28) When the selling price of treasury stock is greater than its cost, the company credits the difference to
29) Intangible assets¬¬¬_______ 30) Where would the event purchased land for cash appear, if at all, on the indirect statement of cash flows?