FIN 534 Week 5 Midterm Exam 1
Instant Download Price
Buy and Download
FIN 534 Midterm Exam 1
1. Of the following investments, which would have the lowest present value? Assume that the effective annual rate for all investments is the same and is greater than zero.
2.You plan to analyze the value of a potential investment by calculating the sum of the present values of its expected cash flows. Which of the following would increase the calculated value of the investment?
3. Which of the following statements regarding a 20-year monthly payment amortized mortgage with a nominal interest rate of 10% is CORRECT?
4. Which of the following statements is CORRECT, assuming positive interest rates and holding other things constant?
5. You are considering two equally risky annuities, each of which pays $25,000 per year for 10 years. Investment ORD is an ordinary (or deferred) annuity, while Investment DUE is an annuity due. Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
6. Ellen now has $125. How much would she have after 8 years if she leaves it invested at 8.5% with annual compounding?
7. Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
8. Bond A has a 9% annual coupon while Bond B has a 6% annual coupon. Both bonds have a 7% yield to maturity, and the YTM is expected to remain constant. Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
9. Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
10. Bonds A and B are 15-year, $1,000 face value bonds. Bond A has a 7% annual coupon, while Bond B has a 9% annual coupon. Both bonds have a yield to maturity of 8%, which is expected to remain constant for the next 15 years. Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
11. A Treasury bond has an 8% annual coupon and a 7.5% yield to maturity. Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
12. Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
13. Which of the following statements is NOT CORRECT?
14. How would the Security Market Line be affected, other things held constant, if the expected inflation rate decreases and investors also become more risk averse?
15. Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
16. Recession, inflation, and high interest rates are economic events that are best characterized as being
17. Assume that the risk-free rate is 6% and the market risk premium is 5%. Given this information, which of the following statements is CORRECT?
20. Two constant growth stocks are in equilibrium, have the same price, and have the same required rate of return. Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
21. The required returns of Stocks X and Y are rX = 10% and rY = 12%. Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
23. Stocks X and Y have the following data. Assuming the stock market is efficient and the stocks are in equilibrium, which of the following statements is CORRECT?
24. Franklin Corporation is expected to pay a dividend of $1.25 per share at the end of the year (D1 = $1.25). The stock sells for $32.50 per share, and its required rate of return is 10.5%. The dividend is expected to grow at some constant rate, g, forever. What is the equilibrium expected growth rate? 25. Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
FIN 534 Midterm Exam Part 2
1.You recently sold 100 shares of your new company, XYZ Corporation, to your brother at a family reunion. At the reunion your brother gave you a check for the stock and you gave your brother the stock certificates. Which of the following statements best describes this transaction?
7. Which of the following is a primary market transaction?
9. DeYoung Devices Inc., a new high-tech instrumentation firm, is building and equipping a new manufacturing facility. Assume that currently its equipment must be depreciated on a straight-line basis over 10 years, but Congress is considering legislation that would require the firm to depreciate the equipment over 7 years. If the legislation becomes law, which of the following would occur in the year following the change?
10. Analysts following Armstrong Products recently noted that the company's operating net cash flow increased over the prior year, yet cash as reported on the balance sheet decreased. Which of the following factors could explain this situation?
11. Which of the following items cannot be found on a firm's balance sheet under current liabilities?
12. For managerial purposes, i.e., making decisions regarding the firm's operations, the standard financial statements as prepared by accountants under Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) are often modified and used to create alternative data and metrics that provide a somewhat different picture of a firm's operations. Related to these modifications, which of the following statements is CORRECT?
14. Lucy's Music Emporium opened its doors on January 1, 2012, and it was granted permission to use the same depreciation calculations for shareholder reporting and income tax purposes. The company planned to depreciate its fixed assets over 20 years, but in December 2012 management realized that the assets would last for only 15 years. The firm's accountants plan to report the 2012 financial statements based on this new information. How would the new depreciation assumption affect the company's financial statements?
17. Danielle's Sushi Shop last year had (1) a negative net cash flow from operations, (2) a negative free cash flow, and (3) an increase in cash as reported on its balance sheet. Which of the following factors could explain this situation?
19. Which of the following would indicate an improvement in a company's financial position, holding other things constant?
20. Cordelion Communications is considering issuing new common stock and using the proceeds to reduce its outstanding debt. The stock issue would have no effect on total assets, the interest rate Cordelion pays, EBIT, or the tax rate. Which of the following is likely to occur if the company goes ahead with the stock issue?
23. Considered alone, which of the following would increase a company's current ratio?
24. A firm's new president wants to strengthen the company's financial position. Which of the following actions would make it financially stronger?
25. Which of the following would, generally, indicate an improvement in a company's financial position, holding other things constant?