Developed at Oglala Lakota College, this course focuses on teaching the student the sound and meaning of the Lakota language. This is a very good and complete college level audio course for the Lakota Language. This course focuses on teaching the student the sound and meaning of the Lakota language. All recordings are by native speakers. Exercises for written practice are included which use the English alphabet since Lakota was a spoken language until recently. The term "Sioux" refers to people of similar ethnic backgrounds and includes Lakota speakers (the most numerous), Dakota and Nakota Speakers.
Course contents include: Lakota Sounds; Greetings & Introductions; Gender & Speech Patterns; Kinship System - Immediate Family; The Five Senses; Communications; Giving and Following Directions; Time - Days of the Week, Time Expressions, Clock Time; Months & Seasons; Colors, Money, Foods, Animals. This is the most intensive course equivalent to 15 CDs, and a 102 page text.
Learning an extra language is always an advantage. This course originates from the Oglala Lakota College, and is conceptualized around the idea of teaching the sound and meaning of Lakota language.
- Introductory Lakota is a college level audio-based course to understand and speak the language fluently – equivalent to 15 CDs and a 102 page text.
- Recordings are authentic audio files by native speakers.
- Chart your progress via exercises for written practice, which are in English due to Lakota being a spoken language until recently.
- Content includes time expressions, how to read time, the months & seasons, days of the week etc.
- This course largely focuses on speech patterns and sounds like greetings and introductions and how to improve communication skills.
This course is elaborately structured to cover several topics needed for beginners. Once you grasp the grammar and vocabulary, it will be a cinch for you!