Calming the Explosive Volcano - Hand Out Set
“CALMING THE EXPLOSIVE VOLCANO” Handout Set
40 page set of handouts for first of three 2-hour parent education sessions on "Calming the Explosive Volcano." Set contains detailed information that parents can use immediately, including the following topics:
- Children's motivations for unacceptable behavior and the issue of parental control;
- Parental Invitations to Trouble that invite anger and defensiveness in children;
- The problem with parents yelling;
- The Old School parenting model;
- My New School parenting model;
- Why my New School approach tworks better with defiant children;
- Why listening is the parent's "magic wand" for dealing with angry or defiant children;
- My #1 Rule of Thumb for dealing with difficult children);
- Nine relationship skills for parents
- Three listening skills that can transform a strained relationship;
- How listening can help parents create agreements that result in child cooperation;
- How to deal with tantrums and with the withholding child;
- Real-life stories reported by parents about use of New School techniques.
- How to conduct a family meeting.
The techniques and principles I present in these handouts are extremely practical and usable immediately with any and all of your children (and adults too). My approach is based on my 33 years as a family therapist, followed by 8 more years as a parent coach and educator.